It’s World Population Day 2019. Today, the UN is reminding us this is a day to look at issues and challenges created by the world population. For 30 years, the UN has attempted to draw attention to the consequences of a growing population. UN offers this year’s theme for contemplation:
- Focus on the consequences of increasing population and how it affects the overall development plans and programs
- The quicker depletion of natural resources due to population growth.
- Effect of population growth on sustainable development
- An opportunity to celebrate a spirit of brotherhood – We’re in this together and have a responsibility to each other
- Learn how the UN’s Population Division works with agencies, programs, funds and others to develop and execute programs on population.
- Though countries celebrate world population day differently, a favorite way is to conduct essay and sport concerts to create awareness.
So, think about ways to live sustainably, and remember the 3Rs: Reduce use, Re-use when possible, Recycle what’s left.