By the end of 2019, 2 million ITINs will to expire.  If you, or someone you know were unable to get a social security number, and needed to get an ITIN instead, you may need to renew it to avoid a delayed refund.  Any ITIN with the middle digits 83,84,85,86,87 will expire as of December 31, 2019.  ITINs with middle digits 70 through 82 that expired in 2016, 2017 or 2018 can still be renewed as well, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

The form for renewal is W-7 and the IRS has a list of common errors that can result in delays of ITIN renewals. 

  1. Missing W-7 application.  When you prepare the supporting documents, make sure you also include the fully completed W-7 application in your submission. 
  2. Unmarked reason for ITIN.  The reason for needing the ITIN must be indicated on the W-7 form.
  3. Missing foreign address.  If Reason B(non-resident alien) is marked on the ITIN renewal, include the complete foreign address on the form W-7.
  4. Omitted original or properly certified copies.  When mailing the ITIN renewal application package, taxpayers must include original identification documents or copies certified by the issuing agency, as well as any other required documents with the ITIN assigned to them and the name under which it was issued on line 6e-f.
  5. Inadequate documentation.  Name changes, for instance, happen.  If there was a name change after the original ITIN was issued, you need to include documentation, such as adoption or marriage paperwork, to identify the old name changing to the new name.
  6. Left out the tax return needed to validate a tax benefit.  Unless Spouses and/or dependents are filing their own tax return, or qualify for an allowable tax benefit, they should not renew their ITINs this year.

The form is only one page and these 6 most common mistakes are completely avoidable.  Check the completed form W-7 to make sure every question has been answered, including the top question near the header: Apply for new ITIN or renew existing ITIN.  Click for instructions.  Need to find professional help? can help you find the licensed, experienced professional to walk you through the form W-7 and answer your ITIN and other tax questions.  Come see us today.